Can we help you
Are you prevented from doing what you want to by a medical condition or disability? Do you want more independence in your life to help you with day to day living or to pursue a hobby?
We will try to help you by adapting your existing equipment or making you a gadget that will make a difference. The equipment we make is free of charge and made just for one person. To find out more you can contact us directly, or ask your occupational therapist or other healthcare professional to make a formal referral.
How we work
First, one of our volunteers will meet the person with a disability, usually with their health professional, to discuss what is needed.They will then design and make a piece of equipment especially for that person.
Volunteers may need to make several visits, making fine adjustments to get the equipment exactly right. They will explain how it should be used to make sure it can be used safely.
The equipment is supplied free of charge. If there are any problems with it in future, it will be checked by our volunteers. Equipment no longer needed should be returned to the branch as it could be used to help others.
Although the Remap service is without charge, many people like to support our charity by making a voluntary donation or by letting others know how they have benefited.
Frequently asked questions
- Q – Who can get help from Remap?
- A – Anyone! People are often referred by a health professional like an Occupational Therapist but carers or individuals can contact Remap directly.It is important to involve health professional whenever possible to make sure the equipment is going to be suitable.
- Q – How do I get help for myself or someone else?
- A – You, your carer or health professional can contact us directly.
- Q – How many people are helped by Remap?
- A – Remap nationwide helps around 4000 people each year and here at Bristol around 100 each year. We have been doing this since 1964.
- Q – Do you charge for your service?
- A – No it is free to you but we welcome donations which go towards the cost of materials and volunteer’s travel costs.
- Q – Do you need volunteers?
- A – Yes, as well as people to help make the equipment. We also need volunteers to help with promotion and fundraising.
Read more about how Remap helps people across England and Wales (opens new window)